Deadly Stroke For 17-year-old Caused by Hickey
Seventeen-year-old Julio Macias Gonzalez from Mexico City suddenly collapsed at dinner with his family. He had just been with his 24-year-old girlfriend.
They called an ambulance but even the paramedics couldn’t help Julio anymore. They pronounced him dead as a result of a stroke and were clueless how such a completely healthy young man could die this way. Then they noticed a hematoma on the teenager’s neck: a hickey right on the carotid artery.
Sucking on his neck caused a blood clot that traveled to Julio’s brain and triggered the deadly stroke.
This is not the first time that hickeys have left behind not only significant marks but also awful consequences. In 2010, a 44-year-old woman in New Zealand suffered a similar stroke and became partially paralyzed as a result. The New Zealand Medical Journal reported that doctors traced the cause of her condition to a hickey on her neck.
The teenager’s girlfriend has not been found. It is assumed she is hiding from Julio’s parents.
Fortunately, it is extremely rare for hickeys to have such deadly effects, but everyone should be aware of the potential risks.